Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Well the big night has arrived

I'm sure we'll all be tuned in to the results, because we know what is ahead. You haven't heard much from us here at Punch and Jude about this lately, but that doesn't mean we don't care. In fact, between Moot Court and Fantasy Football, I've been spending a lot of time reading and researching, and consider myself something of an expert because I've always loved the contest. As such I have a lot to say and so without further ado:

The Punch and Jude 2004 NBA Season Preview (I know Jude's going to kick my ass for this)

Tonight on TNT we'll be watching the NBA's Best, Defending World Champions, the Detroit Pistons (- Okur + McDyess and Delfino) begin their title defense against the Rockets (- Stevie Franchise + T-Mac). They'll be followed by the Nuggets (most exciting team??) against the Lakers (Kobe + some other people).

Here's a few things to look out for as the season progresses, starting with the best conference:

The East:

The Pacers might have the most talent, but will they be able to get it together this year in the playoffs? Look for Reggie's decline to continue while Mississippi native Jonathan Bender takes his place as the go-to scorer. Bender has the potential to be a T-Mac type of guy but needs to emerge soon.

Luol Daaaang will live up to the hype like Jay Williams never could. He'll be better than Lebron was last year but won't get the attention. This has been confirmed by Punch roommate Papa Sho, a diehard Bulls fan.

Speaking of King James - he'll continue to improve but will never be the MJ everyone wants.

Boston will play better for Doc Rivers especially with LeFrentz coming back and Delonte West coming off the bench. But don't look for hard nosed defense from the guys they have there now.

I won't mention Charlotte because they aren't worth mentioning.

Finally from the East watch out for Punch favs 'Zo Mourning and Grant Hill coming back. Alonzo from a kidney transplant and Grant from a series of foot and ankle injuries for 4 years running.

Regarding Alonzo: The man had an organ replaced LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. Granted this isn't rugby, but there's plenty of banging on the blocks and East coast centers like Shaq, Jermaine, and Ben Wallace won't take it easy.

Regarding Grant: you gotta like the thinking man's basketball player (Remember the SC commercial where he plays the piano??). He'll try to get back on track once again and I'll be pulling for him.

The West:

A few guys have changed teams and we'll be watching closely to see how Vlade works with Kobe in L.A. T-Mac and Yao in Houston, and Nash with a buncha other guys in Phoenix that like to run.

The Mavs have a new face as well. After hanging his hat on Dirk, Mark Cuban is hoping that Jason Terry can take the place of Nash or at least be adequate trade bait for Kidd mid-year. Also Mississippi native Erick Dampier (last traditional American Center??) should add a new dimension down low.

The Kings are a strange bunch. Peja and Webber aren't happy. Miller is tough down low but plays a very different style than Vlade. But even with these questions they should win the division since the Clips, Lakers, and Warriors are worse. The Suns will play well and might topple Sacremento, but I would count on it.

I like T-Mac in Houston, but I keep wondering if Yao will ever be dominant or dependable as a scorer.

I like Boozer and Okur in Utah. They'll be good down low with Kirilenko. Plus they have USA killer Arroyo lighting it up and Jerry Sloan (are you kidding me, he's still here) on the bench. They're much different that the Jazz of old but should have a solid season.

I like Memphis but I don't know why. I think it's because I keeping wondering if Stromile Swift and Lorzen Wright are the same person. Are they ever on the floor at the same time? It would be stupid for the Griz to use up two roster spots on one guy, but imagine the press conference at his retirement when he tells everyone and they combine his stats as both players are realize he wasn't all that bad.

Finally Everyone loves the Spurs and the Wolves - two teams that couldn't make it past the Lakers last year. The Lakers got whipped by the Pistons who are better now than last year. So why do people think San Antonio and Minnesota can do it this year? Seriously, I have no idea.

I guess that's all I've got. Thanks for tuning in. I'll be sure and keep you all updated throught the season.


P.S. This is long and I'm not proofreading it. Bitches.
|