Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Rumsfeld v. FAIR

The opinion came out and can be found here. If you aren't aware of the case, basically a bunch of law schools got pissed off about having to allow military recruiters on campus when the military discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation. If they bar them from campus, not just the law schools, but the entire university could lose federal funding. While a couple of smaller schools have decided to pay the price, places like Harvard stand to lose hundreds of millions.

I haven't read it yet, too much other shit going on, but it was decided 8-0 so apparently there wasn't much of a debate. I can't speak to the constitutionality, but I think it's bullshit. Law schools want their students to all have the same job opportunities, so when the military or a private law firm refuses to abide by the school's non-discrimination policy, they should not be allowed on campus.

Of course the far greater problem (and the one directly affecting my life) is discrimination based on grades. Why should I have fewer job offers simply because I a poor student? Life is so unfair.

|