Wednesday, August 18, 2004

This Is The Story Of The Hurricane

No, not the unjustly-imprisoned boxer Rubin Carter--rather, we are talking about the ravages of Hurricane Charley, which recently came ashore in West Florida.

I don't know about the Punch part of this web log, but the Jude half has lived through a few hurricanes--Frederic in 1979, Elena in 1985, and others in other parts of the country (thanks, Hugo).

Hurricanes suck.

They also tend to make landfall around my birthday (Happy Birthday, Jude! Cheers, God!), which has made for a few really festive celebrations (I'm glad you're picking up on the sarcasm here--I'm not being shy with its application).

At any rate, in keeping with the aftermath of most hurricanes, some people in Florida have decided to become total assholes and start looting.

I've always been puzzled by this response to storms. I've seen looting after every hurricane I've witnessed. And not from Wal-Mart or Sears--these looters hit up individual homes. It's not that I'm morally opposed to stealing--I just don't want to steal from individual people. If a bunch of looters wanted to raid department stores, I'd be cool with that. But stealing from other people--people who have just endured one of nature's most horrendous maelstroms? That doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps some of our loyal readers could comment and enlighten me on this issue.

Labels: ,

|