Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Eatin' Meat

Sorry to be gone for so long. A variety of things have been going on for me recently, none of which involve me being potentially employed. But I have no excuse for such a long absence from my internet home.

So getting back in the action, check out this article from William Saletan on Slate. Saletan is usually interesting to me because half of what he says I really agree with and half seems like utter nonesense. I think one of us is crazy but I can't figure out which.

This piece is interesting because he's taking a firm stance on meat eating:
But 300 years from now, when our descendants look back at slaughterhouses the way we look back at slavery, they won't remember the benefits to us, any more than they'll remember our dried-up tears for a horse. They'll want to know whether we saw the moral calling of our age. If we do, it's time to pony up.
Wow, right? The "moral calling of our age" is to stop eating meat. Also we're "half-evolved" because we still eat it. Ok, so since meat-eating = slavery, I was expecting Saletan to swear off tasty grilled flesh of fellow animals, yet he makes no such promises. Nor does he ever give any sort of explanation about why eating meat is morally reprehensible or why stopping our canivorous lifestyles would make us more evolved. So he ends up making some pretty heavy statements about meat and the progression of the human race without laying any kind of foundation or providing anything to back up his claims.

So I disagree. I like meat eating. For example I had a burger grilling "competition" yesterday, which I think I won but since there was no official vote, I can't really claim victory. However here's my recipe for my Almost Award Winning Burgers. Mix all ingredients and grill.

2 lbs. ground beef
2 tbsp. ketchup
1 tbsp. whole-grain dijon mustard
1-2 tsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
1 -2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup of diced onion or shallot
1 clove of garlic, diced

Oh and while we're talking about meat. My favorite graduation gift is a gift certificate to Lobel's. I can't wait to order. My wife really knows me well.
|