Friday, July 02, 2004

But If You're Innocent, You Don't Have Anything To Worry About, Right?

The 1st Circuit Court Of Appeals says that your e-mail is not private. Well isn't that just dandy? I'm sure John Ashcroft (R-Choad) popped wood when this decision came down.

The court ruled that because e-mail is stored, even momentarily, in computers before it is routed to recipients, it is not subject to laws that apply to eavesdropping of telephone calls, which are continuously in transit.

What the hell? My snail mail is stored more than momentarily in sorting centers and post offices, but, for people who aren't imprisoned, no one can open mail with impunity. It's actually a crime to do so, if I remember correctly. Also, if you really wanted to get persnickety, you could argue that the electrons that carry phone messages are "momentarily" not in transit at relay switches. How long does an electronic message have to be stationary, anyway?

I already get enough spam, now I have to be concerned about Yahoo reading my mail? Or, even more ominously, the FBI?

In whatever hell Stalin is in, I'm sure he's pissed that he couldn't get in on one more way to monitor people's lives. And he'll give Crisco Johnny a great big high five one day, and greet him with a "You brilliant bastard!"
|