Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Sense of Entitlement

Most students, especially graduate students think that they are entitled to a degree as long as they are willing to stay in school and pay for it. Thus, many graduate schools (including mine) rarely give grades less than a C. Education has become much more of a business and much less of a scholarly endeavor. Most schools let students stay with passing marks as long as they keep taking out the loans, and most students keep taking out the loans as long as they get passing marks. Students feel as though money = degree instead of intelligence + hard work = degree. This is something that I've thought about for a while and is why I loved this article from the BBC.

Here's a quote: "Michael Gunn, a 21-year-old English student, told the Times Higher: 'I hold my hands up. I did plagiarise. I never dreamt it was a problem.'" Amazing.
|