Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Nights Without Sleep

Are strange things, indeed.

Sunrises are always gorgeous, provided you can see the sun. Nature does have a truly breathtaking palette, should it decide to make that variety visible.

And the vocal awakening of diurnal birds has always filled me with fascination.

But the diversions that are available to the destitute, small-town insomniac prior to daybreak are lacking.

Low-budget TV preachers, who claim that you will "never find evidence of a human older than 14,000 years old" abound, as do second-rate all-night news broadcasts--24-hour cable is, both mercifully and cruelly, not a part of my life. Sidewalk bullshit sessions with strangers are a new thing to me (the Midwest is a bizarre place compared with other places I've lived).

The consumption of cheap beer at five in the morning seems like a bad idea, but damned if I can think of a better way to pass the time.

Ugh. I hate being unable to sleep.
|