Thursday, May 13, 2004

In This Style 10/6

Instead of my previous characterization of "Rumsfeld (R-Idiot)," I'm thinking of changing it to "Rumsfeld (R-10/6)" or "Rumsfeld (R-Tea Party)" or "Rumsfeld (R-Mad Hatter)." Let us know what you think in the comments below.

Why, you might ask, is this change necessary? The answer is in today's New York Times:

The government lawyers argue that releasing such materials would violate a Geneva Convention stricture against presenting images of prisoners that could be construed as degrading, Rumsfeld said while en route to the Iraqi capital on a trip that was not announced in advance due to security concerns.

Yes. Releasing more pictures of US MP's and Military Intelligence types torturing Iraqis would violate the Geneva convention rules against showing humiliating images of individuals. Uh, Rummy? Last I checked, the Geneva convention also prohibited torturing prisoners, not just releasing pictures of them. Orwell would be so proud of these guys.

Elsewhere in the NYT, we find a continuation of the US press' refusal to call things what they are. "Harsh methods," they say. Yeah, I'd imagine that holding someone under water so that he thinks he's gonna drown is harsh. I'd also say that IT'S TORTURE, but I'm kind of a softy that way, I suppose.
|