Saturday, May 01, 2004

A Good Reason

Why humans shouldn't have nuclear weapons at their disposal. In this touching article in the Boston Globe, we find, actually, TWO good reasons why we're just not equipped to handle atomic weaponry:

1. People have faulty reasoning and poor memories. "Charlie Dodd said 'certain people in Iraq' were responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks, and expressed anger at those who lack the will to retaliate: 'Memories in America are very short. It drives me nuts. Don't they remember the planes going into those towers?'"

2. Due to faulty reasoning, poor memories, and an astonishing capacity for misplaced vengeance, people can express (and, god forbid, act on) sentiments like this: "But across the room, Sheril Brambach responded fiercely: 'You ask me, we should blow that whole side of the map off.'"

It's impossible for me not to empathize with the people of Wellsburg, West Virginia. However, it's also impossible for me not to empathize with the people of Baghdad, who I really don't want erased from the earth--even the ones who might want that fate for me, Ms. Brambach, or anyone else.
|