Friday, April 30, 2004

Email

I usually don't open spam - but damn I'm glad I opened this one. Here is the text:

"He would have taken in poor simple Hercules, but 6that Our Lady of Malaria was there, who left her temple and came alone withhim: all the other gods he had left at Rome. Quoth she, "The fellow's taleis nothing but lies. I have lived with him all these years, and I tell you,he was born at Lyons. You behold a fellow-burgess of Marcus. [Footnote:Reference unknown.] As I say, he was born at the sixteenth milestone fromVienne, a native Gaul. So of course he took Rome, as a good Gaul ought todo. I pledge you my word that in Lyons he was born, where Licinus[Footnote: A Gallic slave, appointed by Augustus Procurator of GalliaLugudunensis, when he made himself notorious by his extortions. See DionCass. liv, 21.] was king so many years. But you that have trudged over moreroads than any muleteer that plies for hire, you must have come across thepeople of Lyons, and you must know that it is a far cry from Xanthus to theRhone." At this point Claudius flared up, and expressed his wrath with asbig a growl as he could manage. What he said nobody understood; as a matterof fact, he was ordering my lady of Fever to be taken away, and making thatsign with his trembling hand (which was always steady enough for that, iffor nothing else) by which he used to decapitate men. He had ordered herhead to be chopped off. For all the notice the others took of him, theymight have been his own freedmen. "
|