Friday, April 30, 2004

Cheney Cements Deal With Satan; Endorses FOX News

Truly, this is a disturbing universe. I can't think of any other episode where a high-level government official personally endorsed any news organization. That's unconscionable. And can Cheney really believe this:

"It's easy to complain about the press -- I've been doing it for a good part of my career," Cheney said. "It's part of what goes with a free society. What I do is try to focus upon those elements of the press that I think do an effective job and try to be accurate in their portrayal of events. For example, I end up spending a lot of time watching Fox News, because they're more accurate in my experience, in those events that I'm personally involved in, than many of the other outlets."

It seems that wise leaders would not want simply to be told what they want to hear. Oops. There I go, using that "wise" word again.

As regards Iraq:
"The fact is that we spend a lot of time talking to a broad range of people out there to make sure we've got a good fix on what's going on," Cheney said. "You can't simply rely just upon the press coverage. The situation today is clearly -- we've made enormous progress when you think about where we came from a little over a year ago. Saddam Hussein was in power. Tonight, he's in jail. His sons are dead. The government is gone. It's been taken down. The extent to which you had a regime there that hosted terrorists over the years and also pursued and used weapons of mass destruction -- that's all been dramatically changed."

You can't simply rely just on the press coverage??? Well, since I can't reach all of the Iraqis that I normally keep on my speed dial, what else should I do, Dick?

Cheney is right about a couple of things--Hussein is in jail, and his insanely cruel sons are dead. However, the government is not gone. In fact, former Ba'ath party officials are being allowed back in power in a desperate attempt to bring order to Iraq.

And a regime that has hosted terrorists over the years and pursued and used weapons of mass destruction is in charge.

(Edited: first link added--d'oh!)
|