Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Legal Battles

I'm busy with my own legal battles (finals) but two of my fav are in the news today.

First of all Clarrett's (and now Mike Williams') case might be heard before the Supreme Court. What a mess! Check out any of the news links to the right of the page for more detailed information. My take is that the rule will eventually fall, but I don't think that it should. The NFL has a legitimate interest in keeping the quality of the play high.

What saddens me is that the NCAA is now joined forces to keep the youngsters in school. How many of us think this is because the NCAA cares about the education of its "student-athletes" and NOT due to the billion dollar industry that is collegiate sports? Not I.

And secondly, The Guantanamo Detainees are finally getting heard. Again check all the news links, if you are interested, but as for my thoughts:

The president doesn't really need congressional approval to start wars. If he, as Commander and Chief can hold whomever he wants for however long he wants without the prisoners having access to the courts, then two out of three branches are gone. Can the executive branch do whatever it wants as long as the military is involved and tell the Congress and Judiciary to piss off?
|